by NomadHere's an public ad for universal suffrage from the 1920s.
This list makes so much sense and yet, even today so many women voters stay at home.
- Because those who obey the laws should help to choose those who make the laws.
- Because laws affect women as much as men.
- Because laws which affect women are now passed without consulting them.
- Because laws affecting Children should include the woman's point of view as well as the man's.
- Because laws affecting the home are voted on in every session of the legislature.
- Because women have experience which would be helpful to legislation.
- Because to deprive women of the vote is to lower their position in the common estimation.
- Because having the vote would increase the sense of responsibility among women toward questions of public importance.
- Because public spirited mothers make public spirited sons.
- Because about 8,000,000 women in the United States are wage workers, and the conditions under which they work are controlled by the law.
- Because the objections against their having the vote are based on prejudice, not on reason.
- Because to sum up all reasons in one-- it is for the common good of all.