Sunday, March 3, 2019

Sanity Sunday Musical Break: Remembering Ethel Ennis

by Nomad



This week's Sanity Sunday is devoted to the late Ethel Ennis, a woman of great talent and irrepressible spirit.


Singer and musician Ethel Ennis died on Feb. 17 at her home in Baltimore at 86 after complications of a stroke. Known affectionally as the "First Lady of Jazz", Ennis rose to national fame in the late 1950s and 60s.

Her independent character, however, put her at odds with the rigid rules the music industry of that time. Refusing to be pigeon-holed, Ennis would she eventually walk away from lucrative recording contracts. She was unapologetic.
“You really had to do things that go against your grain for gain. I wouldn’t...I want to do it my way. I have no regrets.”
In an interview- (and a wonderful interview it is, too), she reflected on the racism she encountered early in her career.


At a time when interracial marriage remained illegal in many states, Ennis did the unthinkable. She married a white man. In this excerpt, she discusses how she met and fell in love with her husband, Earl Arnett.


Later in her career, she became famous- some would say infamous- for her a cappella rendition of the national anthem which she sang at the re-inauguration of Richard Nixon. Here she is talking about her decision.


And now, a selection of hits by Ethel Ennis. Enjoy.


The playlist consists of:

  1.   My Foolish Heart
  2.  I've Got That Feeling (check out the dance numbers!)
  3.  Serenade In Blue
  4.  Lullabies For Losers 
  5.  Taking A Chance On Love 
  6.  Then I'll Be Tired Of You
  7.  The Moon Was Yellow
  8.  Off Shore
  9.  Angel Eyes
  10.   The Things I Love
  11.  I Cried For You 
  12.  Little Girl Blue 
  13.  Nobody Told Me
  14.  He's Funny That Way
  15.  For All We Know

Have a great Sunday, my friends.