Sunday, October 6, 2019

Sanity Sunday Musical Break - Dire Straits

by Nomad

Formed in London in 1977 by brothers Mark and David Knopfler, Dire Straits' debut album, Sultans of Swing, reached the top ten in the UK and US charts. By the mid-80s, songs like "Money for Nothing" and "Walk of Life" made Dire Straits an MTV favorite. 

Despite this welcome exposure, it was apparent that music video directors found it difficult to visually interpret Dire Straits songs. For example, even by 80s standards, Romeo and Juliet is nearly unwatchable. That's a pity because it is, in my opinion, a masterpiece.

For those of us who came of age in the late 70s and 80s, the songs of Dire Straits probably form the theme music to many of our important life events.
For me, Telegraph Road will always be connected to the time I was unemployed and made to feel worthless. When I hear that song, I still remember those gray rainy days, as autumn shifted into another St.Louis winter. 
And my radio says tonight it's gonna freeze
People driving home from the factories
There's six lanes of traffic
Three lanes moving slow 

The playlist consists of:

  1.  Why Worry?
  2.  Where Do You Think You're Going? 
  3.  News 
  4.  Your Latest Trick 
  5.  Lady Writer
  6.  It Never Rains
  7.  Once Upon A Time In The West
  8.  Romeo And Juliet
  9.  Telegraph Road

Have a wonderful Sunday, my friends.